Complete dentures are recommended to replace an entire arch of teeth. They can be used for the upper or the lower jaw, or for both arches. Dentures are removable oral appliances consisting of prosthetic teeth held together by an acrylic base. They are designed to fit your mouth comfortably and provide you with a natural-looking final result that can allow you to eat, speak and smile with confidence.
Advantages of complete dentures include:
- A less costly treatment option for replacing an entire arch of teeth
- An aesthetically pleasing final result
- A shorter treatment time than other tooth-replacement options
There are several types of complete dentures available. When you visit our office, our prosthodontist will discuss your options with you to determine which type of complete denture will best meet your needs.
- Conventional Dentures — Traditional dentures involve removing all the teeth in the arch and allowing the mouth to heal before the denture is created. Conventional dentures are very accurate, as the mouth is no longer healing and changing, but you are left without teeth during the healing period.
- Immediate Dentures — This style of denture involves removing all the teeth in the dental arch and immediately placing the denture. While an immediate denture prevents you from being without teeth, you may find that your denture has to be adjusted or relined several times as your mouth heals and your oral tissues change.
- Overdentures — This type of complete denture uses existing teeth or dental implants to support the denture and provide stability. There are several types of overdentures, ranging from “snap-on” dentures to dentures that are fully supported and anchored by implants.
For more information about complete dentures and to schedule a consultation with our prosthodontist, please contact our office today.